A. MAINTENANCE OF MEMBERSHIP
1. Each Employee who, on the effective date of this Agreement, is a member of the Federation, and each Employee who becomes a member after that date, shall maintain his/her membership in the Federation, provided that such Employee may resign from the Federation during a period of fifteen (15) days prior to the expiration of this Agreement or any renewal or extension thereof, by notifying both the College and the Federation by certified mail of his/her desire to terminate his/her membership. The payment of dues while a member shall be the only requisite employment condition.
B. CHECKOFF OF FEDERATION DUES
1. The College agrees to deduct the Federation's annual membership dues in twelve (12) equal installments from the pay of those Employees who individually request in writing that such deductions be made. The amounts to be deducted shall be certified to the College by the Federation, and the aggregate deductions of all Employees shall be remitted together with an itemized statement to the Federation by the last day of the succeeding month after such deductions are made. This authorization shall be irrevocable during the term of this Agreement as provided in the maintenance of membership provision above.
2. The Federation shall indemnify and hold the College harmless against any and all claims, suits, orders or judgments, which may arise out of the implementation of this Article.
C. POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE
1. Employees may authorize in writing a voluntary contribution through payroll deduction to AFT Local 2067, COPE (Committee on Political Education). Such authorization must be executed by the Employee and may be revoked by the Employee at any time by giving written notice to both the College and the Federation. The College agrees to remit any deduction made pursuant to this provision promptly to the Federation together with an itemized statement showing the name of each Employee from whose pay such deductions have been made and the amount deducted during the period covered by the remittance. An Employee's contribution to this fund, revocation of such contribution or non-contribution shall not be a condition of employment. The Federation shall indemnify and hold the College harmless against any and all claims, suits, orders or judgments brought or issued against the College as a result of any action taken or not taken by the College under these provisions.
D. FAIR SHARE
The provisions of the "fair share" legislation enacted into Pennsylvania law on July 13, 1988, will be extended to the Federation as mutually agreed to by the parties.
1. Since the law provides for the negotiation of a "fair share" provision, the terms of this Section shall constitute the completed negotiation of a "fair share" provision by the parties, and the implementation of the "fair share" payroll deduction for eligible nonmembers of the Federation shall take effect as mutually agreed to by the parties.
2. The Federation agrees to extend to all eligible non-members, within thirty (30) days after enactment of this agreement, the opportunity to become Federation members.
3. The College and the Federation hereby agree that all eligible non-members of the Federation shall be subject to a fair share fee as authorized by law. The Federation shall calculate the fair share rate and shall prepare and issue a notice to eligible non-members in a manner provided for under state law. The Federation shall give the College and each eligible non-member at least thirty (30) days notice of the applicable fair share rate prior to its effective date.
4. The Federation shall indemnify and hold the College harmless against any and all claims, suits, orders or judgments, which may arise out of the implementation of this Article.
In the event that any future "fair share" legislation applicable to the parties is passed, the parties will agree to negotiate within ninety (90) days the implementation of said legislation.