Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC)

Community College of Allegheny County

College Council Meeting Minutes September 13, 2007

COLLEGE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
Septtember 13, 2007
College Office Board Room

ATTENDANCE                     
Present   Absent                     Guests                  

Maryann Anderson
Mary Frances Archey            
Charles Blocksidge
Gail Boyea
Toni Carney
John Dziak
Rod Farkas
Rita Gallegos
Joanne Jeffcoat
Maura Stevenson
Barbara Thompson
Allysen Todd  
Ping’an Wang  
Stephen Wells   
Peggy Williams-Betlyn 

Joe Calig 
Ralph Proctor      

Mike Murphy  
Deb McCluskey  
Connie Salvayon 
Bonita Richardson    

Maryann Anderson, College Council Chair, called the meeting to order at 2:30 PM. 

AGENDA ITEM I: WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

Maryann Anderson welcomed members back to College Council and asked everyone to introduce themselves. Mrs. Anderson warmly welcomed the new members to Council, Gail Boyea and Ping’an Wang. CCAC interim President Mike Murphy was also in attendance. He noted that he will be at Council meetings from time to time but looks to Mary Frances Archey to represent him.

AGENDA ITEM II: ELECTION TO SUBCOMMITTEES

The following faculty members were elected to subcommittee positions:

Secretary of Council

             Barbara Thompson

Academic Planning:

            Chair: Joanne Jeffcoat   
            Secretary: Steve Wells

Academic Standards and Student Affairs

            Chair: Toni Taylor Carney   
            Secretary: Gail Boyea

Curriculum:

            Chair: Maura Stevenson   
            Secretary: Rita Gallegos

Research and Development:

            Chair: Rod Farkas    
            Secretary: Ping ‘an Wang

AGENDA ITEM III: TASKS OF EACH SUBCOMMITTEE AND COLLEGE COUNCIL PROCEDURES

Maryann Anderson distributed copies of Article XXVIII, Governance, of the AFT Collective Bargaining Agreement that describes the duties of each subcommittee.

Academic Planning

Mrs. Anderson reviewed the duties of Academic Planning and asked Joanne Jeffcoat and Steve Wells if they were comfortable with the duties. Mrs. Jeffcoat explained that she is not entirely comfortable with the Assessment portion of Program Review. Most programs have an assessment component and she sometimes questions whether the assessment component is adequate. Allysen Todd explained that the Assessment Committee liaisons have discipline assignments and should have already either looked at the Program Review or had someone completely familiar with the discipline review it. Dr. Todd also recommended soliciting one of the faculty members who serves on the Assessment Committee to serve on Academic Planning. Maura Stevenson added that between the academic dean and the discipline liaison the assessment portion of the Program Review should already be taken care of.

Mrs. Jeffcoat informed Council the hiring forms for teaching faculty need editorial changes

Academic Standards and Student Affairs

Mrs. Anderson reviewed the duties of this Subcommittee and asked Toni Carney and Gail Boyea if they were comfortable with the duties. Both replied in the affirmative. Mrs. Carney told Council that she and Fran Dice reviewed the new student handbook to be sure that all of the policy changes that were approved by Council appear in the new edition.  They do appear.

Mrs. Carney noted that when the Assessment for General Education was proposed last year that there were joint Subcommittee meetings.  She asked if that would be necessary again this year.  It was agreed that what is forthcoming will have to be presented only to Academic Standards and Student Affairs.

Curriculum

Both Maura Stevenson and Rita Gallegos were comfortable with the duties of their Subcommittee. Maura Stevenson said that she would like to discuss with Mary Frances Archey our Curriculum format and those times when it puts the Department in conflict with their accrediting body.

Research and Development

Both Rod Farkas and Ping’an Wang were comfortable with the duties of the Subcommittee.

Other Discussion

Rod Farkas asked about putting the Subcommittee minutes on the website. It was agreed that when minutes are posted, they should not be deleted.

Allysen Todd brought a request forth from the Deans. She requested that agendas for the Subcommittee meetings should be distributed 1 week prior to the meetings. Deans often need to prep for the meetings as well as clear their calendars for these Subcommittee meetings.

Dr. Todd also requested that the Subcommittees meet at College Office and asked if the start times could be a little staggered. Often Deans have to attend 2 Subcommittee meetings on the same day. It was agreed that Curriculum would start at 2:00; Academic Standards and Student Affairs and Academic Planning would start at 2:30; and Research and Development would start at 3:00. Dr. Murphy will check out the room availability for the first and third Thursdays.  

Maryann Anderson asked that each Subcommittee start immediately to solicit faculty members. Administrative members have already been set by Dr. Murphy.

AGENDA ITEM IV: UPDATE ON COLLEGE COUNCIL PROCEDURES

Mrs. Anderson asked Council members to direct people to the website for new forms and procedures. Deb McCluskey is still working with the AFT to link to the updated Council website.  Let Deb McCluskey know of any links to incorrect information on any other pages on the CCAC website.

All committee chairs need to select a due date for final proposals for the academic year. 

AGENDA ITEM V: COLLEGE COUNCIL WEBSITE

Barbara Thompson reported that the College Council website is completely updated thanks to a lot of hard work on the part of Deb McCluskey. She asked members to review the website for any errors. Mrs. Thompson will put on the website the names of the members of the subcommittees when each Subcommittee Chair or Secretary reports them to her.

Each Secretary is responsible for putting on the website their own minutes and Mrs. Thompson suggested that each Secretary attend one of the upcoming website training classes. Training is at North Campus on Monday and College Office on Tuesday and there are seats available for the North Campus class. Mrs. Thompson suggested that the Secretaries register when the next Enroll Me notice appears.

One correction was noted: switch Elmer Hayman onto Research and Development and Jane Greenwood onto Academic Standards and Student Affairs.

AGENDA ITEM VI: OTHER BUSINESS

Gail Boyea reported that with the migration to the new MS Outlook, faculty members will not be able to work on Black Board from their home computers. Dr. Murphy said that he will investigate this.

The next meeting of College Council is Sept, 27th

Toni Carney made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Steve Wells seconded the motion and the motion passed unanimously.

There being no further business, the meeting ended at 4:31 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Barbara Thompson
College Council Secretary