Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC)

Community College of Allegheny County

College Council Meeting Minutes September 23, 2010

 

COLLEGE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
September 23, 2010
Office of College Services Board Room

ATTENDANCE                     

Present   

Absent                    

Guests                  

Maryann Anderson
Mary Frances Archey
John Dziak
Carl Francolino
Rita Gallegos
Jane Greenwood
Shirley Harr
Donna Imhoff
Nancy Jenkins
Evelyn Kitchens-Stephens
Maura Stevenson
Barbara Thompson
Stephen Wells 

Richard Allison
Rachel Matheis

 

Maryann Anderson, College Council Chair, called the meeting to order at 2:37 PM. 

Mrs. Anderson announced several changes to College Council membership. Joanne Jeffcoat who has served on Council for many years is unable to continue due to a class schedule conflict. Likewise, Maryanne Burke is unable to serve because of a class conflict.  The AFT Office will issue a call for faculty volunteers from Occupational Sciences at Boyce and South Campuses to fill these vacancies.

Mrs. Anderson welcomed Evelyn Kitchens-Stephens to Council representing Counselors system wide. 

AGENDA ITEM I: APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE
AUGUST 26, 2010 MEETING OF COLLEGE COUNCIL

Carl Francolino moved to approve the minutes of the August 26, 2010 meeting of College Council. Rita Gallegos seconded the motion and the minutes were approved as amended. 

AGENDA ITEM II:SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS

A.  ACADEMIC PLANNING  

Election of Subcommittee Chair
In order to be eligible to serve as Chair of Academic Planning, Steve Wells resigned as Secretary. Barbara Thompson moved to nominate Steve Wells as Chair of Academic Planning. Donna Imhoff seconded the motion and the motion passed unanimously.

Dr. Wells reported that the Subcommittee met on September 2, and reviewed the anticipated tasks for the upcoming year. There are many Program Reviews that are scheduled to be completed this year, as well as a number that were expected last year and are behind schedule. The Program Reviews this year will be completed with the simplified Schedule H. Dr. Wells mentioned that the old Schedule H was appearing on the College website when doing a Google search. He worked with Amanda Lawson to remove it.

The Subcommittee discussed the electronic submission of Program Reviews. This is technically possible, but the general expertise is not there yet. The Subcommittee is encouraging electronic submissions especially because of all of the documentation that is necessary for a Program Review; however, paper submissions are still acceptable.  Brenda Trettel is working on this process.

Subcommittee members discussed the system wide vacant AFT Ed Tech library position that resides at South Campus mentioned at the last meeting of College Council. Subcommittee members concurred with Council that the position should go through the Campus ranking process just as every other position does. It was highly recommended that Librarians attend the Academic Planning hearing and provide data to justify the position. If necessary, the justification form can be modified to accommodate the data necessary to understand the complexity of the position.

The next meeting of Academic Planning will include the Chemistry Program Review and the beginning discussions of the academic calendar. Biotechnology, Business and Accounting, and Diagnostic Medical Sonography may also be reviewed.

Maryann Anderson asked if there is a policy to notify the college community ahead of time regarding the discussion of Program Reviews. Dr. Wells said that some faculty put out a notification with a cover sheet of the Program Review and others do not. Mrs. Anderson suggested that it should be standardized and that at least five days prior to the Academic Planning meeting, a notice and the cover sheet should be disseminated identifying a contact person for more information.

Mary Frances Archey mentioned that the hiring process needs to be completed earlier in the academic year than in past years. At the Allegheny Campus meeting, Dr. Johnson mentioned there would be 12 to 15 new hires this year. It was not clear if those numbers included Faculty Fellows, formerly Minority Interns.

The Allegheny Campus Nurse, which is a non-teaching AFT position, will become vacant at the end of the calendar year and may be included in the hiring process this year. Other Campuses may want to consider that position as well.

The revised Program Review schedule is due in October. It is maintained by Dr. Archey, and appears on the College Council website.

B.  ACADEMIC STANDARDS AND STUDENT AFFAIRS

Election of Subcommittee Chair
Maura Stevenson moved to elect Evelyn Kitchens-Stephens Chair of Academic Standards and Student Affairs. Jane Greenwood seconded the motion and the motion passed unanimously.

Dr. Kitchens-Stephens reported that the Subcommittee met September 16, and there were no new proposals. Members introduced themselves; they reviewed protocol, their responsibilities, and the process of submitting proposals.

The Subcommittee will meet on Oct 7. There is one proposal on the agenda which was submitted by Mary Frances Archey and concerns a policy change concerning the selection of a program of study.

C.  ASSESSMENT AND RESEARCH

Carl Francolino reported that the Subcommittee met and had a brief overview of assessment by Mary Kate Quinlan, and what to anticipate this year. Archived minutes have been posted on the Subcommittee website. Mr. Francolino encouraged the College Community to bring forth proposals. The next meeting of the Subcommittee will be on October 7.

D.   CURRICULUM

Review of Curriculum Process Directions
Maura Stevenson reported that the Subcommittee met on September 2 and discussed the process of submitting proposals, approving them and getting the proposals to Council in time to be reviewed. In order for hard copies to be delivered to Council members, the process needs to be slowed down. Initiators cannot expect that after a proposal has been approved by Curriculum that the proposal will be on the College Council agenda the following week.

Dr. Stevenson distributed “Table Summary for Guidelines for Preparing Course Learning Outcomes and Program Objectives” that compared the language used for Program Objectives and the language used for Course Learning Outcomes on the Common Course Syllabus. After some discussion, Council agreed that the language should be parallel and match the guidelines for the Course Learning Outcomes.

This means that for both the Course Learning Outcomes and the Program Objectives:

  • The lead-in sentence for Course Learning Outcomes should be “Upon successful completion of the course, the student will…
  • The lead-in sentence for Program Objectives should be “Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will…
  • The list should be numbered rather than bulleted
  • The first word in each will be capitalized and will be an assessable Bloom’s verb
  • Each item will end in a period

Rita Gallegos made a motion to modify the format of the program objectives to align them with course learning outcomes. The motion was seconded by Jane Greenwood. The motion passed unanimously.

Maura Stevenson moved to make this change effective immediately. Those programs not expected to make any changes in the upcoming year will be reviewed by the Discipline Dean in consultation with the discipline faculty and submitted to Curriculum to ensure that no additional changes have been made. Changes will then be made in the catalog. No notification needs be made to the College Community. The motion was seconded by Donna Imhoff and passed unanimously.

Maryann Anderson will send the notice to the College Community explaining the formatting change.

The next meeting of the Subcommittee will be October 16.

AGENDA ITEM III: UNFINISHED BUSINESS

There was no unfinished business.

AGENDA ITEM IV: NEW BUSINESS

Subcommittee Members
Maryann Anderson mentioned the lack of faculty representation on the Academic Planning Subcommittee. Apart from the Chair and Secretary, there are no additional faculty members. 

It was mentioned that faculty often cite the distance downtown as the reason for not serving. Carl Francolino said that a solution would be video conferencing. It is technically possible; however, there has to be a push to utilize it.

Maryann Anderson reported that President’s Council met on September 20. There was a presentation on the budget process, a discussion of the Leadership Development Institute, and a discussion of safety and security and the three committees involved.

Donna Imhoff mentioned that the security plan of the College is operational. There will be training on Oct 25 and 26 at West Hills.After this, Faculty training will be arranged through Professional Development. Until then, faculty members are to use the existing forms.

There being no further business, the meeting ended at 4:31 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Barbara Thompson
College Council Secretary