- First, use your own ideas. It should be your paper and your ideas that should
be the focus.
- Use the ideas of others sparingly--only to support or reinforce your own argument.
- When taking notes, include complete citation information for each item you use.
- Use quotation marks when directly stating another person's words.
- A good strategy is to take 30 minutes and write a short draft of your
paper without using any notes. It will help you think through what
you want to say and help prevent your being too dependent upon your