Technical Requirements for Virtual Advising
To participate in Virtual Advising, you must have:
- Access to a Windows or Mac computer with wired connection (wireless not recommended)
- Cable or broadband internet access
- A webcam
You will be directed to download and install the plug-in for Skype for Business Web
App. For supporting operating systems and browsers, please see Microsoft's technical requirements page.
- Download the Step-by-Step Instructions for preparing for your test session and appointment.
- Your webcam must be available to the Skype for Business Web App, and not used by another
program. If you use Skype or another video app, quit that program before testing or
using the Lync Web App.
- You may experience some delays during the download and installation of the Web App;
be patient as the process completes.
You will have the opportunity to test their system hardware and web app prior to the
advising appointment. Once a successful connection test has been conducted, you should
use the same PC and connection for the actual advising appointment.
If a successful connection cannot be made, the ITS staff may help the you troubleshoot
operation of the application, video and audio settings. ITS staff cannot work on laptops
nor give advice on fixing hardware and software problems on personal computers. If
testing cannot be completed successfully, you may be advised to find another computer
for their appointment.