Students now have the ability to meet with an academic advisor from a distance using our Virtual Advising procedure. To be sure you are able to take advantage of virtual advising, please verify that you meet our technical requirements before proceeding further (Technical Requirements).
Virtual Advising Can Do For You
All advising at CCAC is a partnership between students, advisors and staff. It is an important source of information and support throughout your academic career at the college. Our goal is to help you meet your goals. With that in mind, on-line advising can:
- Provide you with program or degree requirements and help you select courses that help you meet those requirements.
- Provide information about course scheduling and prepare your registration for processing.
- Provide information about other college resources, policies and procedures and make referrals to other offices that will help you find answers to more specific problems / issues.
What VirtualAdvising Cannot Do
During your virtual advising session, your academic advisor cannot:
- Give you information about another student s personal records or grades or provide personal counseling.
- Take a message for your instructors, such as I will be late for class today.
- Bypass college policies.
- Register you for closed courses or override prerequisites for courses.
Tips for Making the Most of Your Advising Session
Your time is precious. Make the most of your virtual advising session. Following are a few tips for making your session as productive as possible:
- Plan wisely and early don t wait until the last minute to schedule an appointment. Refer to the Academic Calendar for the semester for which you are registering for deadline dates.
- Know how your education is being funded and the policies and requirements which affect funding before registering for classes. For information on the financial aid application process, go to Financial Aid. You can find complete information on payment information and deadlines at Payment Due Dates.
- If you have transcripts from another college or university, make sure they have arrived before you complete your virtual advising session. Remember we must have an official copy of your transcript(s) from previous college work in our hands no later than two (2) business days before your scheduled virtual advising session. Have copies of those transcripts in front of you for use during your virtual advising session.
- If you are unsure of your major program of study, contact the Career Counseling Office before scheduling an appointment for virtual advising.
- If you are a returning student, know the requirements of your program. Information on all CCAC programs can be found in the College Catalog. You can create a tentative schedule of classes for the semester in which you are registering by referring to the Credit Schedule for the semester in which you plan to register.
- Have your photo ID in front of you when you begin your virtual advising session. Your
academic advisor cannot proceed with your appointment if you do not have a valid photo
Make an Appointment for Virtual Advising
If you meet all of the requirements for virtual advising and have taken the steps
outlined above, you can make an appointment for virtual advising by going to Appointment Central. Once on that site, select "Online" from the service drop down box above the calendar
and then select "virtual advising" as the location. You can select a session only
on the dates and at the times indicated in blue on the calendar. The black number
under the date indicates the number of virtual advising appointments remaining for
that date. Click on the blue date to make an appointment. Finish making your appointment
by completing the requested information on the right side of the page and clicking
"make reservation" at the bottom of the form.
You will receive an email confirming your appointment date and time as well as additional information to help you better prepare for your virtual advising session. Call the telephone number given in the email if you have questions not addressed by this page or the email confirmation.
It is important that you log-on to your computer and make the connection to virtual advising at the time of your scheduled appointment. We will not be able to hold your appointment for longer than five (5) minutes beyond your scheduled appointment time. If you are unable to keep your virtual advising appointment, please call 412.237.4597 and cancel your appointment.