Veteran Priority Registration
Act 46 of 2014 requires public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania to provide Veteran students, as defined in the Act, with preference in course scheduling. Non-compliance may be reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Education by submitting the Higher Education Student Complaint Form found at www.education.state.pa.us.
Per Act 46 of 2014, CCAC will offer priority registration and scheduling preference to Veterans, current military service members, and dependents (military-connected students) who can provide proof of military connection.
Course schedule preference means that military-connected students are able to start registering for courses sooner than students with the same class standing.
Students who are afforded priority registration will receive a notification via email that specifies their priority registration date. Students can register on the date listed on the notice or any day prior to the first class meeting.
Eligibility for Priority Registration
To be eligible for scheduling preference, an active service member or Veteran student must meet the following criteria:
- Can provide proof of past or current service in the United States Armed Forces, including Reserve components and National Guard. This also includes Reserve or National Guard members who completed their obligated service but were never deployed to active duty.
- If discharged, discharge or released from service must be under conditions other than dishonorable.
To be eligible for priority registration, a Veteran dependent student must meet the following criteria:
- Currently using GI Bill Education Benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Can provide Veteran Sponsor's DD-214 and copy of marriage license or birth certificate.
To verify their eligibility for priority registration, students must provide one of the following documents:
Current Military ID (shown to an MVS facilitator on-site)*
Current Military ID OR DD-214 Discharge Document (Member Copy 4) OR Discharge papers from National Guard or reserves
Veteran Sponsor's DD-214 AND Marriage License OR Birth Certificate
To obtain priority registration:
- Fill out an Enrollment Certification Request form with MVS and check "Priority Registration" on the form.
- Bring the appropriate documentation (as listed below) to the MVS office on your Campus.
You must complete the Enrollment Certification Request Form and provide all required documentation no later than 30 days prior to the start of the Spring or Fall registration period.
Students who obtain priority registration are also eligible for in-county tuition rates if located outside of Allegheny County.
*Per Title 18, U.S. Code Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701, it is illegal to copy military identification cards.
GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill .