Safety and Security Hints
The campuses, centers and satellites of CCAC have historically been a safe and secure
environment for education and learning. Even with a combination of urban and suburban
settings the incidents of concern remain relatively small yet personal awareness is
always encouraged. The following are some hints that can ensure a continued success
in this combined endeavor by the CCAC college community:
- If you drive, don't leave valuables in plain view and always lock your doors.
- Don't leave valuables unattended. Take them with you or ask someone to watch them for you.
- Keep purses, bags, back-packs, closed when not in use. Don't hang purses on the backs of chairs. Don't keep valuables in outside pockets of back-packs. Keep track of your books, especially during buy-back period (when most thefts occur).
- Leave credit cards at home unless you know you will need them. Never keep PIN numbers or password information with credit, bank or other account cards.
- Car pool. Take classes with friends / acquaintances. Travel in groups when possible.
- Be aware of others around you, inside and out. If you are uncomfortable with your surroundings, leave, back-track, etc. until you feel secure. If needed, ask for an escort from Security or someone you feel safe with.
- Carry car keys in hand on way to vehicle. This gets you in faster and you can lock your door. Carry personal communicator as well, if practical.
- If you See Something Say Something, report suspicious activity to security or law enforcement.
- Know where the exits are in case of evacuation order or building alarm. Always assume the emergency is real, follow audible instructions and exit the building immediately. Exit the building out of the closest exit and not the one nearest to your car.
- Do not allow technology to make you unaware of your surroundings.
- Take advantage of campus safety Apps; download the Rave/Guardian App.
- Lastly, if you think a situation is potentially dangerous, it probably is. Follow your instincts and seek assistance.