skip to main content

Working with a Transfer Counselor

CCAC's transfer counselors will assist you by explaining the process of transferring to a four-year institution and advising you of the steps necessary to achieve your educational goals. When you make an appointment to meet with a transfer counselor, please be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • What are your career goals?
  • Have you selected a transfer college?
  • What major do you intend to pursue at the four-year college?

If you are unsure of your answers, as many beginning students are, it is advised that you meet with a career counselor. Once you have made a decision as to your major and transfer college, you can make an appointment with a transfer counselor. Click here to connect with a counselor.

Working with CCAC Staff

Transfer is a complex process and requires that you work with a number of people both at CCAC and the transfer institution. The CCAC staff that will partner with you in developing and executing a plan will be career counselors, transfer counselors, and academic advisors. Instructors are also excellent resources for information relative to academic programs and colleges that excel in specific disciplines.

Career counselors will help you choose a career path and an academic major to meet your future career plans.

The role of the transfer counselor is to help you determine the transfer requirements of the four-year institution, identify the resources available to you as you prepare to transfer and communicate with four-year college representatives to ensure accuracy of transfer information.

After you meet with the transfer counselor, you will schedule your classes with an academic advisor who will discuss your long-range academic goals. Your advisor will work in collaboration with the career counselors and transfer counselors to help you achieve your goals.

Your instructors are great resources who can discuss your interests in subject areas and may recommend colleges and universities that excel in those subject areas. In addition, your instructors can provide you with letters of recommendation as required by many transfer schools in the application process.

Role of a Transfer Counselor

The transfer counselor will help you select courses that will be applicable to the four-year college in one of the following areas:

  • general education
  • major requirements
  • general elective credits

Several resources are used to assist the transfer counselor in making these decisions:

  • the four-year college catalog
  • course equivalency information

In addition, transfer counselors communicate with the four-year college representatives regularly to ensure the accuracy of transfer information. A few colleges and universities maintain information on their respective homepage relative to the transferability of coursework. In addition, a four-year college may provide a published course equivalency guide for student use. When using these guides, however, you are advised to check with a transfer counselor before registering for classes. It is important that you are aware of the following when transferring:

  • the grade point average you must achieve to be admitted to a particular college and major
  • the program and courses you should take at CCAC
  • deadline dates
  • the minimum and maximum number of credits required by a four-year college
  • other requirements specific to an institution

Campus transfer offices house a number of college and university catalogs, and many are available via the Internet. In addition, admissions applications for most colleges in Western Pennsylvania area are available to students. If you have attended a college or university previously, please provide the transfer counselor with a transcript. This may prevent you from registering for a class you have already completed. Remember to consult with a transfer counselor for updates and curriculum changes at the four-year institution.

The transfer counselor will also discuss the terms of an articulation agreement with you. Articulation agreements are contracts that CCAC has with several colleges and universities. Students who enter an articulation agreement and complete the associate degree are assured their CCAC credits will transfer. If you want to transfer to a college with an articulation agreement, your transfer counselor will guide you through the process and help you to organize your courses at CCAC.