skip to main content

Transferring to a Four-year College

If you are looking to earn a bachelor's degree, you'll find that CCAC is a great place to start. In fact, half of our students come to CCAC to complete the first two years of an affordable four-year bachelor's degree.

Starting with your first day on campus, CCAC's transfer counselors will help you plan a smooth transition as you work toward your ultimate educational goals. Our transfer counselors will help you establish early contact with your transfer college and will assist you in selecting CCAC courses that will transfer to the four-year college of your choice. Click here to connect with a counselor.

View all CCAC Transfer Partnerships and Articulation Agreements

General Guide to a Successful Transfer

Associate Degree Programs

Transfer programs correspond to specific majors at four-year institutions, and each major has its own requirements.

Parallel programs are designed to guarantee CCAC students junior status at a four-year college or university using articulation agreements. For further resources, or to work with a transfer counselor, go to Transfer Counseling.

Did you know how much you can save by starting at CCAC?

CCAC students save $25,000 over public and $61,000 over private colleges and universities by spending their first two years at CCAC.

*Student savings are calculated by comparing CCAC’s in-county tuition and fees for a full-time student attending college for two years versus other regional colleges and universities for the 2017–2018 academic year

About the Transfer Process

The courses taken in the first two years at CCAC are typically similar to those courses students would take during the freshman and sophomore years at a four-year institution. Our transfer counselors will help students develop a program of study that will meet all of the requirements of their transfer school. By working closely with a transfer counselor, students can ensure that their coursework at CCAC will be precisely what they need to prepare for the completion of a Bachelor's Degree at the college or university of their choice.

All of CCAC's transfer and parallel programs may be started at any campus, but specific courses required in a program might not be offered at all of the College's campuses. Where these limitations exist, options can be explained by an academic advisor.

If the programs listed do not serve a student's educational plan, they may design their own program. Individual educational plans should be on file with the Academic Services and Records Office. When students complete this program, they will graduate with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree in General Studies. Students will have satisfied the distribution requirements of the Associate Degree but not the requirements of any specific program.

If, after transfer, students pursue a program different from the one they began at CCAC or if they change their choice of colleges, the college to which they have transferred may require additional courses for junior status.

As students begin at CCAC, they should be aware that four-year colleges and universities have specific requirements for the Bachelor's Degree. These may include intermediate foreign language, calculus-based mathematics or specific courses in the arts, the humanities, the natural and social sciences.

 Choosing a Program of Study (Major)

Four-year schools to which students may want to transfer have specific requirements for the Bachelor's Degree. Such general education requirements are based upon the major or program of study that they select at a four-year institution. These may include study of a foreign language, upper-division math courses or certain courses in the Fine Arts, the Humanities, the Social Sciences or the Natural Sciences.

If you are undecided about what they want their major at a four-year institution to be, we advise that you enroll in general courses and seek the assistance of a career counselor. Career counseling helps you explore your interests, values, skills and career goals in order to select a major.