What is Reverse Transfer?

For those who are not familiar with reverse transfer, if students have earned credits at an associate degree-granting institution (two-year) and transferred to another institution (typically a four-year bachelor's institution), they can send earned college credits back to the associate degree-granting institution to be evaluated for a possible degree.


Image Transcript

School icon with the label "2 Year" in circle that says "Completed College Credits". An arrow labeled "transfer" points right towards another school icon with the label "4 Year" in a circle that says "Completed College Credits". Another arrow labeled "reverse transfer" points right towards a graduation cap icon labeled "2 Year Degree" in a circle that says "Combined Credits".


Benefits of Earning an Associate Degree Through Reverse Transfer

There are many benefits for students who earn their associate degree through reverse transfer. For starters, an associate degree provides students with a recognized and meaningful credential that can increase their potential for getting a job and for earning a raise. Studies show that completing an associate degree yields on average approximately $4,600 to $7,200 per annum in extra earnings compared to entering college but not completing an award. In addition, the research shows some states realize an increase of 5-18 percent in bachelor degrees at the state level, indicating that a student who gets a degree because of reverse transfer is more likely to stay and complete his/her bachelor's degree.

Requirements to Get a Reverse Transfer Degree From CCAC

You must have attended and earned at least 15 credits from CCAC. You must have earned a total of 60 credits or more from all institutions attended and meet the requirements for the intended degree.

CCAC will evaluate your eligibility for the program in which you were enrolled in your last semester and transfer necessary coursework from your current school. If you have not completed all the requirements for that program, we will evaluate your eligibility for a degree in Liberal Arts or General Studies.

How Long Can a Student Be Out of School & Still Earn a Reverse Transfer Degree?

Typically, CCAC will evaluate transcripts for reverse transfer within 5 years of the last attendance date at CCAC. Exceptions may be made, dependent on transfer credit evaluation for specific disciplines.

Applying for a Degree Via Reverse Transfer

Contact the Registrar at your four-year school to request that your student records be submitted to CCAC for an evaluation for Reverse Transfer. They should forward your official transcript to registrar@ccac.edu.

Follow the links below for regional colleges that have agreements with the Community College of Allegheny County.


Email registrar@ccac.edu if you have additional questions regarding Reverse Transfer at CCAC.

Connect with a Counselor