Student Handbook

CCAC's Student Handbook is a helpful guide for all students to refer to concerning services for students, academic information, policies and regulations and general information.

All students are responsible for knowing and being familiar with the policies in the student handbook.

Read the Student Handbook

CCAC Policy Manual

Administrative regulations set forth rules and procedures which interpret Board of Trustee policies and describe the manner in which those Policies will be implemented at the College and at each of its campuses and centers. Administrative regulations are developed and revised, as needed, by the administration and approved by the College President.

Read the Policy Manual

Academic Rules and Regulations

After final grades are posted at the end of each term (fall, spring, summer all sessions combined), the student grade record will be evaluated to determine the students academic standing. If the student has earned a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) at or above 2.0, the student will be considered in Good Standing.

You are expected to attend all classes regularly and on time. Excessive absences* result in poor classroom performance, low grades and possible failure. The attendance policies of individual instructors will be made clear on the first day of class and will appear in the course outline. (Some instructors may calculate attendance and absenteeism into students final grade.)

*Instructors will check attendance for the first three weeks of the term (or 20 percent of shorter terms). If students do not attend during that time, they will be dropped from the class, financial aid will be adjusted and tuition and fees will be forfeited. Instructors will also report on attendance at the 60 percent date of the term for financial aid compliance. For more details, see Appendix A in the Appendices, in this catalog.

Religious Absences Accommodation

The Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC) is committed to creating an inclusive campus community that values and respects all of its members and achieves educational excellence through diversity and nondiscrimination. As part of this commitment, the College makes good faith efforts to accommodate students religious practices or beliefs, unless such accommodation would create undue burden on other students or the College.

Religious Absences Accommodation Form


Attendance Procedure for Pregnancy & Pregnancy-Related Conditions

In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, absences due to pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, including childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, and recovery from any of these conditions, shall be excused for as long as the absences are determined to be medically necessary. If students register their pregnancy and/or pregnancy related-conditions with the Title IX Coordinator (TIXC), students will be provided with the opportunity to make up any work missed as a result of such absences, if possible. The College may also offer the student alternatives to making up missed work, such as, but not limited to, retaking a semester, taking part in online instruction or allowing the student additional time in a program to continue at the same pace and finish at a later date. For more information or requests for accommodations, students should inform their instructor(s) and/or contact the TIXC at 412.237.4542 or [email protected]. Per mandatory reporting obligations, instructors are required to inform the TIXC if a student discloses a pregnancy and/or a pregnancy-related condition.

All students are expected to read and comply with the policies and regulations set forth in the CCAC Student Handbook, including without limitation the College's policies regarding academic and behavioral conduct, the procedures for requesting an accommodation based upon a disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, or a religious observance, and for reporting unlawful discrimination and harassment

The Student Handbook is available to view and download.

The full text of the College's Policy Manual, Administrative Regulations Manual, and the Civil Rights Complaint Procedure can also be viewed and downloaded at:

Information concerning the process and documentation required to request a disability-related accommodation can be obtained by contacting the campus' Office of Supportive Services for Students with Disabilities (OSSSD) or by visiting the OSSSD information page.

Students are reminded that they can access their course information and CCAC email account, the CCAC Academic Calendar (including add/drop/withdrawal deadlines), the Student Handbook, the College's Incident Report form, and many other College services through the MyCCAC portal at: https://my.ccac.edu

Repeating Courses

Students can repeat a course once to earn a higher grade. A third and final attempt requires permission of an Academic Advisor or Counselor and will be permitted only under compelling circumstances and with the student's written acknowledgment of and agreement to the consequences of not successfully completing the course on the third attempt. As a condition of being granted a third attempt, the student will be expected to utilize available academic support options during the third attempt.

Effective with the Fall 2021 semester, when a course is repeated, the highest (best) grade earned in the course is used to calculate the student's grade point average; however, the grade from each course attempt will appear on the student's transcript. It is important to note that all course withdrawals and audits count as attempts. Prior to the Fall 2021 semester, the "most recent grade" was used in the GPA calculation for repeated classes.

Some programs such as Nursing and Allied Health may have limitations or restrictions on repeating courses for admissions or program requirements. Applicants to a limited enrollment program must follow application guidelines for their desired program. Once admitted, students should meet with a program advisor or the program coordinator prior to repeating a course to determine the impact on the student's educational plan.

The credit hours for the course may be counted only once towards meeting degree requirements, unless the course description states otherwise.

Prior to repeating a course, students should consult the Financial Aid Office or Military/Veterans Services to determine what impact, if any, withdrawing from or repeating a course has on financial aid or veterans' benefits. Students are responsible for the financial aid repercussions and academic status implications of repeating courses. Students are advised that there may be a potential impact of repeated courses when transferring to other institutions, and should consider the possible effect toward excessive hours. Student should consult with an advisor if there are questions.

Revised 3/12/2021

Academic Renewal

This policy replaces Academic Forgiveness.

Students may apply for academic renewal due to an absence of two years from credit study or because they have changed their program of study or potential program of study. Renewal will allow D and F grades to be excluded from the GPA calculation, but the attempts will remain on the transcript. The adjusted GPA will be used for determining academic standing to include suspension, probation, good standing, honors and dean's list.

The following conditions apply to both of these situations.

D and F grades remain on the transcript followed by a # notation but will be removed from the calculation of the cumulative GPA. (X, W, L, I, N and P grades are neutral and do not affect GPA.)

There is no limit on the number or type of courses that can be excluded within this policy.

Courses included in any credential (AA, AS, AAS, certificate or diploma) will not be excluded because those courses were used to satisfy the requirements of that credential.

After the most recent two-year absence or change of program or potential program, the student must earn a minimum of 12 additional credits with a GPA of 2.00 or higher for all courses taken after the absence or after the change of program. These credits can include developmental course work. If more than 12 credits have been completed at the time of application for renewal, all grades will be used to calculate the minimum 2.00 GPA requirement.

Once awarded, academic renewal cannot be revoked.

Students will typically apply for academic renewal as soon as they are eligible, but students may apply at anytime after they meet the qualifications and do not need to be currently enrolled to apply.

Only institutional credit is calculated into GPA. Transferred credit will not change the CCAC GPA.

Revised 3/12/2021

Meet with an academic advisor to discuss whether you are eligible for academic renewal.


Midterm grades will be available on CCAC Central e-Services during the ninth week of the term. Midterm grades are not a permanent record, but are intended to help students assess their progress in each class. These progress reports also provide students with a list of their registered classes.

If students receive a grade in a class they are not attending, students should report at once to the Registration and Advisement office to determine their registration status. Failure to do this could mean that a student will receive a failing grade in a class he/she never attended.

Final grades will be available online shortly after the term is over. This final grade becomes part of the permanent record at the college and will appear on the student's transcript when copies are sent to potential employers or other colleges at the student's request. If there is a problem with a grade, it is important that students contact their instructor immediately.

Grade Description

CCAC reports student performance using the following grading system:

  • A Superior
  • B Above Average
  • C Average
  • D Below Average
  • F Failure

These grades are used to calculate a student's grade point average (GPA). The GPA indicates academic standing at the Community College of Allegheny County. See Academic Standing Rules. (link to the Academic Standing page)

Calculating Grade Point Average

To calculate a student's grade point average (GPA), CCAC assigns grade points to each of a student's letter grades (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0) and these are then multiplied by the credits assigned to the class. Grade points are then added up for all classes completed in a term and divided by the total term credit hours completed. This result is the term GPA. Students can calculate their cumulative GPA by adding up the grade points for all the courses attended and dividing this number by the sum of credit hours completed. 


  • BIO-110 4 credits A 4x4=16 grade points
  • ENG-101 3 credits B 3x3= 9 grade points
  • MAT-102 3 credits A 3x4=12 grade points
  • PSY-101 3 credits C 3x2= 6 grade points

Total credits = 13

Tpta; grade points = 43

Total grade points are divided by the total credits to get the grade point average.

43 GP / 13 cr. = 3.31 GPA credential

Developmental courses are not calculated into the graduation GPA. Students must earn C grades or better in all developmental courses to register for the next course in the discipline or to use this course as a prerequisite for a course in another discipline.


Interpreting the Grade Report

In addition to grades A through F, other symbols that may appear on the grade record, but are not calculated into GPA are:

I (Incomplete). This means that a student has permission from an instructor to postpone the completion of required coursework for a period not to exceed eight weeks into the following term. If the work is not completed by this deadline, the I will become an F grade. Before an instructor can assign an I grade, the student and the instructor must complete a contract with a schedule for completing the required work. When this work is complete, the instructor will submit a final grade. Incompletes do not appear on the midterm grade report.

M (Military Call to Active Duty). An M grade is posted to the student transcript when a student has elected the withdrawal option Military Call to Active Duty.

L (Audit). This means that a student is attending the class on a nonacademic credit basis. A student must indicate this on the registration form when registering for the class. Students taking a course on an audit basis pay the same tuition and fees as the student taking the course for credit.

P (Passing). A few select college classes have been approved for grading on a pass/fail basis. There are no grade points assigned to a pass course. Failed grades will count in the calculation of a student's GPA.

W (Withdrawal). This means that a student has officially withdrawn from the course. Any actions or pending actions of academic misconduct may prohibit a student from withdrawing from a course. The deadline for an official withdrawal from a course is the ninth week of a 16-week term. Shorter terms have a prorated W date. After this deadline, the instructor must give the student a grade.


Changing an Incorrect Grade

Each student should check their final grades at the end of each term by using CCAC Central e-Services. If the student believes a grade is incorrect, the student needs to discuss this with the instructor. If the instructor agrees, he/she will submit a change of grade card to the appropriate academic dean for posting. Appeals related to grades always begin with the instructor. The academic dean can explain subsequent steps in the appeals process to the student. All disputed grades must be resolved within the first eight weeks of the next major term (Fall or Spring).

Auditing Courses

A student who shows reasonable academic ability may audit one course per term. There is no academic credit for audited courses, but a notation of L is entered on the student's transcript. Students must request audit status for that course at the time of registration. Standard rates of tuition and fees apply.

College Policies

FERPA Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act

In accordance with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), personally identifiable information contained in student education records shall not be disclosed by the College without a student's prior written consent, except in cases in which FERPA authorizes disclosure without such prior consent. Such cases include disclosures that are made to:  

  • College officials with a legitimate educational interest in the information;
  • Other schools to which a student is transferring or seeks to enroll;
  • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes*; 
  • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
  • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
  • Accrediting organizations;
  • Comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena; 
  • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies;
  • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to state law; and
  • Victims of violent crimes and certain sex offenses, in accordance with the requirements of Title IX. 

In addition to the foregoing, please be advised that the College may disclose information that has been designated as directory information, in its discretion and without a student's prior consent, unless the student notifies the College in writing that she or he does not want directory information to be disclosed. Directory information includes a student's name, postal and e-mail address, telephone number, date and place of birth, photograph, major field or program of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance/registration periods, enrollment status (e.g. full or part-time), number of credits, and degrees, honors and awards received. If a student does not want their directory information to be disclosed without his or her prior consent, the student must complete a "Privacy Request" form at the Registration and Advisement office at which the student is enrolled. Please note that if a student requests that no directory information be shared, the request will include the non-disclosure Degree Verification once you graduate. 

  • The right to inspect and review their education record within forty-five (45) days of the College's receipt of the request for access;
  • The right to request amendment of education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise violate the student's privacy rights; 
  • The right to a hearing if a request to amend the student's education records is denied;
  • The right to provide written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent;
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education's Family Policy Compliance Office concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The contact information for this office is as follows: 
    Family Policy Compliance Office 
    U.S. Department of Education 
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW 
    Washington, DC 20202-4605 

Students who wish to grant consent for parents, guardians or other third parties to access the student's educational records must complete the FERPA Release form specifying the types of records to be shared, sign and submit to the campus Registration and Advisement Office. 
Military requests for student information for recruiting purposes, under the Solomon Amendment, supersede FERPA regulations see instructions for requesting student information via the Solomon Amendment. (should like to the new Military and Veterans Page)

The full text of CCAC's policy on student records is set forth in Policy No. III.09 of the Board Policy Manual. Information and procedures governing your right access to access and review information contained in your student records, as well as the conditions and circumstances under which such information may be disclosed to third parties, is set forth in the "Review and Release of Information in Student Records" section of the CCAC Administrative Regulations Manual. The CCAC Policy Manual and Administrative Regulations Manual can be viewed and downloaded can be viewed and downloaded here.

Financial Aid Policies

  • Students who wish to completely withdraw from their courses must officially withdraw at the Registration Office by completing a withdrawal form and notify the financial aid office. If the student is unable to do this in person or by mail the student can contact the financial aid office by phone.
  • Students who completely withdraw at or before 60% of the term will be processed through a federally mandated Return of Title IV Funds Calculation.
    This calculation determines the percentage of financial aid the student has earned based on the number of days the student attended divided by the number of days in the enrollment period.
  • The student will be responsible to pay any unpaid institutional charges incurred by the institution having to return Title IV funds.
  • The student will also be responsible for returning a percentage of unearned financial aid. This amount will be the difference between the amount of Title IV aid due from the school and the amount of Title IV aid to be returned.
  • The school must return funds to the following sources, in order, up to the total net amount from each source: Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan, Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan, PLUS, Pell Grant, Federal ACG, Federal SEOG, and any other Title IV programs.
    The student will return loan amounts in accordance with the terms of the promissory note.
    If the student owes tuition and fees, the student will receive an invoice from the school.
    The Financial Aid Office will notify the student of the amount of any Federal Grants that must be repaid by the student.
  • If there is a reduction in tuition, students receiving the PHEAA State Grant may be required to return a portion of what was received. You will be notified by financial aid if any amount of the state grant must be repaid.


Unofficial Withdrawals

  • Financial aid is available to eligible students who enroll at the institution for a specific period and for a specific number of courses. Students who stop attending classes as reported by the faculty will have financial aid adjusted to reflect the student's unofficial withdrawal from classes.
  • Students who are reported by the faculty as stopped attending classes will have their financial aid adjusted if the student has stopped attending classes during the institution's refund period. The institution will retain the full tuition and fees of students who stop attending classes and may report these students as enrolled for state appropriations. This procedure parallels the manner in which the institution adjusts students who officially withdraw from classes.
  • Students who are reported by the faculty as stopped attending classes after the institution's refund period (unless the student has stopped attending all classes) will not have financial aid adjusted, but will be expected to make satisfactory academic progress according to the federal guidelines established for financial aid recipients. The institution will retain the full tuition and fees of students who stop attending classes and may report these students as enrolled for state appropriations. This procedure parallels the manner in which the institution adjusts students who officially withdraw from classes. 

HEOA Consumer Information

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA), includes many disclosure and reporting requirements. A disclosure requirement is information that a post-secondary education institution is required to distribute or make available to another party. A reporting requirement is information submitted to the U.S. Department of Education or other agencies. The information provided on these pages meets these requirements. 

Per 34 C.F.R. 600.9(a) and 34 C.F.R. 668.43(b) Students enrolled in classes at The Community College of Allegheny County should attempt to resolve any academic issues or complaints through the College’s standard procedure for filing academic grievances. If the issue is not or cannot be resolved after all internal procedures have been exhausted, the student may file a complaint with the state of residence or the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (the College’s primary accrediting agency). This is in compliance with the Federal Department of Education’s State Authorization Regulations.

To file a complaint with the state of Pennsylvania, please submit a completed Higher Education Complaint Form to:

Bureau of Postsecondary and Adult Education 
Pennsylvania Department of Education 
333 Market Street, 12th Floor 
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333 

Military and Veteran's Services Policies

You must report any changes in your schedule to the OMVS office. Any changed schedule must align to your degree program. OMVS will notify you if they can't certify a course, but you are responsible for any schedule changes and fees related to dropping courses. If you change your schedule, you will need to notify OMVS.

Once you have registered and confirmed all of your courses satisfy current degree requirements complete the CCAC Military and Veterans Services Enrollment Certification Form every semester.

A change of degree or certificate program is permitted, but it must be changed with Registration and be reflected on your schedule before we can certify you in that program. After you have changed or updated your CCAC degree plan you will need to complete the VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training as well.

To continue receiving your VA benefits you must maintain grades in accordance with the CCAC Standards of Academic Progress.

The Community College of Allegheny County's catalog policies and regulations apply to all students, including veterans and military-connected students. VA rules are additional rules which apply to veterans only. Please feel free to discuss your questions with your counselor or academic advisor.

Failure to attend a class without processing an official withdrawal will result in the Veterans Administration readjusting your training time and monthly benefit.

If a student enrolls in a class and is reported as not attending by the class instructor, the student may be dropped from the class. Although the class will not appear on the student's official transcript, the student will be responsible for all tuition and fees associated with the class.

VA regulations prohibit repeating a course in pursuit of a higher GPA for courses where a passing grade (a "d" grade or higher) was earned. However, if a "C" grade or better is necessary to progress to the next level (i.e. Nursing Clinical or prerequisite) in the student's program.

It is the responsibility of the VA to determine your eligibility and monthly monetary award. This is not determined by the OMVS.

Students who have Tuition Assistance through the Pennsylvania National Guard must take a letter of eligibility from their unit commander to the Bursar office every term.

Any questions you may have regarding your eligibility or education benefits should be directed to the VA. You may telephone them at 888.442.4551.

Important: VA students are paid on a monthly basis based on current hours enrolled. Students need to be aware that taking courses in terms of different lengths (16 weeks, 14 weeks) may affect their full-time status. It is the student's responsibility to check this with the VA.

If you are in Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606, you are responsible for reporting the number of credits you are enrolled to the Department of Veteran Affairs in at the end of each month. You can do this by phone at 877.823.2378 or through the WAVE website.

All previous college transcripts and/or military records must be evaluated for appropriate transfer credit prior to certification of benefits, even if the coursework does not apply to your current curriculum, before your OMVS facilitator can certify your benefits. You need to speak to Registration and an academic advisor to have an evaluation.

CCAC can assist in requesting your Official Joint Service Transcript (JST). If you would like us to request it on your behalf please complete the Joint Service Transcript (JST) Request Form.

The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) requires that your coursework must be credited towards the associate of arts or associate of science degrees, approved applied degrees, approved diploma programs, and approved certificate programs. The approved programs of study can be found on the WEAMS website. The VA requires that your coursework is applicable to your chosen degree, diploma, or certificate. Courses that are not applicable to your degree, diploma, or certificate cannot be certified.

All colleges are required to comply with the final regulations of the Solomon Amendment. Failure to comply may result in the loss of federal funding including various forms of federal student aid. Procedures at the Community College of Allegheny County for military organizations to request information under the Solomon Amendment are outlined here.

The Solomon Amendment supersedes FERPA. Solomon is based on the definition of "Student Recruitment Information."

Definition - Student Recruitment Information:



Telephone number



Class Level (e.g. First-Year, Sophomore)

  • Degree awarded 
  • Information released is limited to the current semester or the previous semester. If the request is received between semesters, the requestor must specify previous semester or upcoming semester.
  • Students must be enrolled.
  • If a student requests that their directory information be withheld under FERPA, this protection will be honored under Solomon; the student's records will not be released.
  • Sub-population definition under Solomon is limited to the data elements included in the definition of "Student Recruitment Information." Sub-population definitions according to veteran status, academic performance, ethnicity, nationality, and gender are specifically excluded under Solomon. At CCAC, we will provide sub-population definition according to: 
    • Age
    • Undergraduate class level (e.g. First-Year, Sophomore)
    • Campus or location of attendance

Information released is limited to military recruiting purposes only. The request for information must be in writing on letterhead that clearly identifies the military recruiting organization. Military recruiters must be from one of the following military organizations:

  • Air Force
  • Air Force Reserve
  • Air Force National Guard
  • Army
  • Army National Guard
  • Army Reserve
  • Coast Guard
  • Coast Guard Reserve
  • Navy
  • Navy Reserve
  • Marine Corps
  • Marine Corps Reserve

All responses to Solomon Amendment requests for information will be processed centrally. Military Recruiters are to submit their Solomon requests to:

Office of the Registrar
800 Allegheny Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15233

Any requests sent directly to Campus Registration office should be immediately forwarded to the Registrar's Office.

Military Recruiters are required:

Requested information will be provided in an Excel file as an attachment to encrypted email or delivered via secure shared file platform.

Right to Know

Pennsylvania's Right-to-Know Law provides a mechanism through which members of the public can access public records from governmental agencies. The following provides details on how to submit a request for public records under the RTKL to CCAC:


Requests must be in writing via either hard-copy or email. Download the standard request form or request one through the Open Records office, 412.237.4413.


Requests for information must be specific as to the record(s) desired. You do not have to give a reason for the request.


Requests must be submitted to the following:

CCAC Open Records Officer
Byers Hall, Office of the President
800 Ridge Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15233


A response to the request will be issued within five business days from the time it is received by the Open Records Officer.

How Much

You may be charged duplication and postage fees in keeping with standards set by the Office of Open Records. Prepayment may be required if fees are expected to exceed $100.


For more information about the new Right to Know Law, visit openrecords.state.pa.us

Safety and Security Policies

The Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act (CSCPA) of 2000 is a federal law that provides for the tracking of convicted sex offenders enrolled at or employed at, institutions of higher education. The CSCPA is an amendment to the Jacob Wetterling Crimes Against Children and Sexually Violent Offender Act.

The federal law requires state law enforcement agencies to maintain a registry of sexual offenders. In Pennsylvania the Pennsylvania State Police maintain such a registry at the following website: www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us.

All CCAC students, faculty and staff can access this site and view not only the registry but all the associated information including policy and restrictions on divulging various information about individuals. The law also states procedures requiring local law enforcement to make specific notifications to institutions of higher education when certain conditions exist. In the event that CCAC receives such notification the appropriate information will be made available to the campus community.

Community College of Allegheny County encourages all individuals who feel they are, have been or may be victims of sexual crimes, sexual intimidation or sexual discrimination to report to any of the following for assistance: Campus Security, local law enforcement, Dean of Student Development, Student Counselors, Supportive Services, Student Life, any campus administrator (for referral) or the following local agencies in Allegheny County; Center for Victims of Violence and Crime @ 412.392.8582 (24 hours) or Pittsburgh Action Against Rape @ 1.866.END.RAPE (24 hours).

CCAC constantly strives to maintain the safety of the college community and visitors. All members of the faculty, staff and security are continuously vigilant in their observations of the physical environs of the campuses, centers and satellite sites. Students and visitors are also encouraged to report hazardous or potentially hazardous situations by whatever convenient means available to Security or the Administration. Such incidents would include obstructions, spills, icy/slippery conditions, snow build-up, lighting issues, etc.

In the event that any member of the campus community (or visitor) suffers a personal injury while on campus, at a center or satellite or anywhere while engaged in a college approved activity or on college business it is important that the injury be reported immediately to Security and in a timely manner to one or more of the following; an instructor, a member of the Administration, a supervisor, or the campus Business Office. There are specific forms that must be completed to ensure prompt attention and resolution by the college's insurers.

Even if the injury seems minor at the time the incident should be reported to protect the individual should something develop over time that is attributable to the injury.

If an individual is incapacitated or otherwise unable to report the incident others aware of the incident are encouraged to report to Security or the Administration.

Technology Policies and Guidelines for Students

The Community College of Allegheny County provides computing and networking services to members of the College community and other specified clients. Access to and use of computing and networking resources are privileges limited to authorized users and for approved purposes only.

The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) was signed into law on August 14, 2008. Final regulations were issued on October 29, 2009. Enforcement of the HEOA provisions formally begins July 1, 2010 and all colleges and universities are required to make a good-faith effort at compliance. Several sections of the HEOA deal with unauthorized file sharing on campus networks, imposing three general requirements on all U.S. colleges and universities:

  • An annual disclosure to students describing federal copyright law and college policies related to violating copyright law.
  • A plan to "effectively combat the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials" by users of its network, including the use of one or more technology-based deterrents.
  • An agreement to offer alternatives to illegal downloading.

The following is CCAC's plan for complying with HEOA and for combating the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials on the campus network.


Informing the Community

Within the first few weeks of the Fall and Spring terms, CCAC's Office of the Registrar posts a "Policy Reminder" message to all students which contains a reminder that the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials violates federal copyright laws as well as institutional policies. This message also contains links to where students can read more about FERPA and other institutional policies and sanctions.

CCAC has developed online orientation videos, which include an informational video on the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials. In this video you can learn more about the laws associated with file sharing.

As a Community College, we have a number of non-credit students. To communicate with non-traditional students, CCAC's ITS Department has posted signs in all areas with student computers stating that unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials violates federal copyright laws.

Add the links to all websites with appropriate information

Technology Deterrent(s) Used: Currently, CCAC has implemented URL filtering which will be actively blocking tools utilized for illegal downloads. The tool is configured to block the ability to download software or other materials, serial numbers, key generators, and tools for bypassing software protection in violation of copyright agreements.

Periodic Review of Plan: The current approach and plan will be reviewed annually during the summer term.

Plan Review Completed: August 2021

CCAC provides a link to the EDUCAUSE maintained webpage listing of Legal Downloading resources.

For general questions regarding these guidelines, please feel free to contact the ServiceDesk by phone (412.237.8700), by email ([email protected]), or by chat. For assistance in resetting passwords, use our CCAC Password Tool.

Tuition and Cost Policies

By registering for classes or processing a registration transaction, a student becomes financially responsible for all related tuition and fee charges as detailed in the CCAC Student Financial Responsibility Agreement. If you experience a change in plans and choose not to take class(es), you must contact the Registration and Advising office and follow specific registration procedures to officially drop your registration before the first day of the term to avoid being charged. Not attending registered courses does not alleviate a student's financial responsibility.

A student may receive an adjustment for the semester's tuition and fee charges if he/she completes the official drop process through the Registration office. Adjustment of tuition and fee charges for dropped class(es) will be in accordance with College drop policy which states:

  • Students who drop classes before the start of the term, CCAC will drop 100% of tuition and eligible fees.
  • Students who drop from the first day of the term to the 14% point of the term, CCAC will drop 80% of tuition and 100% of eligible fees.
  • Students who drop after the 14% of the term, CCAC will not drop any tuition/fee charges and the student remains financially responsible for all charges.

Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for specific drop date information.

In cases of course cancellation by the college, an adjustment equal to 100 percent of tuition and fees will be given. Students suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons, and found to be in violation of established college policy, will not be entitled to a refund of tuition and fees.

Upon enrollment all students are bound by the Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC) Student Financial Responsibility Agreement.  The agreement outlines the financial terms and conditions associated with your registration.  By registering for classes, you assume financial responsibility and agree to the terms of this agreement.  If you have questions or would like more information about the CCAC Student Financial Responsibility Agreement, please contact the Office of the Bursar at 412.237.CCAC or [email protected].

CCAC Student Financial Responsibility Agreement