Transfer With or Without a Degree

Students can transfer with or without an associate degree. Whether you plan to take a few courses and transfer or earn an associate degree, it is critical that you:

  • Identify your target school and major
  • Work with a CCAC transfer counselor
  • Choose a CCAC program that allows you to fulfill the course requirements of the transfer school

Transfer With an Associate's Degree

There are advantages, however, in transferring with an associate degree, especially to a school that has signed an articulation agreement with CCAC.

  • You will most likely have fulfilled the distribution requirements of the four-year college at a cost far less.
  • You will have had small classes, an accessible faculty and staff, qualified instructors, and a broad range of student services
  • If your grades in high school and/or your SAT/ACT scores were below an acceptable level for other colleges or universities, earning an Associate Degree may increase your chance for acceptance to the transfer school of your choice.

Transferring to a school with an articulation agreement with CCAC offers even more advantages.

The contract between the two institutions assures that CCAC students with an articulation agreement who have fulfilled the program requirements and earned an Associate degree are - if accepted by the transfer college - given full credit and junior status.

Most of these agreements are for general transfer while a small number are special program agreements. The latter agreements provide for the transfer to the equivalent program at the four-year college without loss of credit for students who have completed requirements in a special CCAC program such as Nursing. If you want to transfer to a school with an articulation agreement, inform your transfer counselor who will guide you through the process. Click here to view the institutions that have articulation agreements with CCAC.

Earning an Associate degree may or may not be to the advantage of transfer students and will depend upon the transfer school and the major the student pursues. For students who want to transfer to a school that does not have an articulation agreement with CCAC, the benefits of getting an associate degree remain the same: a quality education at a reduced cost. The major difference in transferring without an articulation agreement is that the receiving institution may not guarantee acceptance of all credits. By working with a CCAC transfer counselor, you can maximize the number of credits that will be accepted and often be accepted as a junior.

The key is knowing what the transfer institution requires.

Transfer Without an Associate Degree

If your goal is to attend CCAC and take a few courses and transfer, you may want to reconsider and earn an Associate degree given the advantages CCAC offers of a quality education at a reduced cost. However, if you prefer transferring without a degree, you need to follow the basic guidelines previously outlined here. Acceptance of your credits by the transfer institution depends on your fulfillment of that institution's program and course requirements. Please see your campus transfer counselor before you register for CCAC classes.

Scheduling the Courses You Need

Sometimes, four-year colleges require courses in their distribution requirements that CCAC does not offer. One way to address this need is through cross registration.