Why Diagnostic Medical Sonography?
Students enrolled in this program are equipped with the skills necessary for entry-level employment in the high-demand field of diagnostic medical sonography. Diagnostic ultrasound uses high frequency sound waves to image organs and structures within the body. Skilled technologists in this field play a vital role in ensuring proper diagnosis of disease and injury. Students will select one specialty from among the following fields of study in which to major: general ultrasound (abdominal, OB-GYN), cardiac ultrasound or vascular ultrasound. Clinical experiences in a variety of health care facilities are included.
Graduates are eligible to sit for the American Registry in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) national examination. Successful completion of this exam leads to becoming a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS).
Graduates have the opportunity to enter careers with strong earning potential.
What Type of Program Are You Looking For?
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Ultrasound), A.S. (554A, 554B, 554C)
Diagnostic ultrasound uses high frequency sound waves to image various organs and structures within the body. The diagnostic medical sonographer is qualified by academic and clinical training to provide patient services using diagnostic ultrasound under the supervision of a qualified doctor of medicine or osteopathy. The ultrasound profession is subdivided into nine specialties. The specialties offered at CCAC are General Ultrasound, Cardiac Ultrasound and Vascular Ultrasound. Students will select one specialty field of study in which to major.
Take the Next Step
Every Nursing & Allied Health program at CCAC has specific admissions requirements and career accreditation.
For Diagnostic Medical Sonography, there are specific course requirements and academic thresholds that must be met before a potential applicant can be considered for the program. Admission deadline is March 1 every year. Please contact the Allied Health Department at Boyce Campus by calling 724.325.6754 for any changes in deadline dates.
In order to gain admission to the program, potential applicants must complete the following requirements:
Students interested in admission to the limited enrollment Diagnostic Medical Sonography Degree Program (DMS) must complete the following:
- Apply to CCAC/Boyce Campus.
- Submit your high school transcript to the Admissions Office.
- Applicants who have college-level credits from other institutions must submit OFFICIAL transcripts to [email protected]. Applicants MUST include an UNOFFICIAL transcript and copy of your transcript evaluation summary with your Allied Health application packet.
- Schedule an appointment and take required Placement Tests (e.g., Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) if you have not completed any college coursework.
- Meet with an Advisor.
- Complete developmental courses required from results of your Placement Tests.
- Complete college-level general biology or introduction to biological science course AND college level medical terminology with a letter grade of "C" or better.
- Recommended but not required: Shadow in hospital ultrasound department in the areas
in which a DMS application will be submitted; i.e., if an applicant intends to apply
only to the vascular track, they need only shadow in a vascular lab. If an applicant
intends to submit applications to the cardiac track, they need to shadow in the cardiac
department and if applying to the general track, they need to shadow in hospital abdominal
ultrasound department for a total maximum of 6 hours. This will help determine which
specialty field you want to complete.
- Have documentation indicating the dates, hospital and signature of sonographer where observation occurred.
- Call the Allied Health Department at: 724.325.6754 to request the Health Careers Programs Diagnostic Medical Sonography application and Admission Information Guide.*
- Students interested in applying to the DMS program must attend one of the Mandatory Diagnostic Medical Sonography Information Session offered quarterly. Please RSVP to Admissions Office at 724.325.6614 or [email protected]. (This is a new mandatory requirement for application to the DMS program.)
*This packet of information and forms is not available through the Internet. You must call to have the admission packet sent to you or pick it up in person at any of the four campus advising locations. All College forms that need to be completed, signed and submitted for the DMS program will be in the application packet.
Only complete application packets will be considered for admission to the DMS program.
Admission deadline is March 1 every year. Please contact the Allied Health Department at Boyce Campus by calling 724.325.6754 for any changes in deadline dates. A complete packet contains:
- The Health Careers Admission Application (for Diagnostic Medical Sonography)
- Copy of other college transcripts (if applicable)*
- Copy of CCAC transcripts (if applicable)
- *Copy of Approved Transfer of Credits (if applicable)
- Copy of Current Course Registration (if applicable)
- Total Admission Score Calculation Sheet - Score must be 2.5 or higher with no grade
lower than a "C" in any science or math course
- Students who have enrolled in the same developmental course more than three (3) times will not be considered for acceptance in an Allied Health program. Students who have enrolled in the same science course more than three (3) times will not be considered for acceptance. "W" and "I" grades also count as an enrollment.
- Completed Health Careers Programs Prerequisite Checklist
- Complete Program Prerequisite Courses
- Students interested in applying to the DMS program should take the USA Assessment Test prior to beginning the pre-requisite course work.
- ALH 140 Medical Terminology - 3 credits, or BIO 123 Medical Biology and Terminology - 3 credits
- BIO 161 Anatomy & Physiology 1 - 4 credits (pre-requisites are BIO 110 or BIO 151)
- BIO 162 Anatomy & Physiology 2 - 4 credits
- ENG 101 English Composition 1 - 3 credits
- MAT 108 Intermediate Algebra - 4 credits
- PHY 100 Basic Physics - 4 credits
- Completed and signed Video Observation Form
- Your Self-essay - See Admission Information Guide for outline.
- Self-addressed "Application Received Post Card"
- Completed Selection of Specialty Form: Applicants must complete a Specialty Selection Form and choose either the Cardiac, General or Vascular major. Applicants applying to more than one specialty must complete a separate application for each specialty for the DMS program and rank for consideration.
*An unofficial copy of your CCAC college transcript is acceptable for your Health Careers application packet. Students attending other college/universities must include an unofficial copy of your college transcript along with Transfer of Credit form, if applicable.
**Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the initial round of completed applications is not sufficient to fill all seats available.
Return all completed materials in the envelope provided with the packet by the application due date.
This table displays the attrition, job placement, and examination passing rates among the Diagnostic Medical Sonography class of 2021.
|Concentration||Retention||Job Placement||Credential Success Rate|
|Cardiac||75%||83%||RDCS, CCI (AE) 67%|
|General||80%||92%||RDMS (AB) 100% - RDMS (OBGYN) 100%|
|Vascular||73%||88%||RVT, (VT) 100%|