Phlebotomists perform the essential work of collecting blood specimens for the detection, diagnosis and treatment of disease. Students enrolled in this program are prepared for entry-level positions as phlebotomists in hospitals, blood drawing stations, physicians' offices, research facilities or other health care settings. Clinical experiences in health care facilities are included.
Graduates are eligible to apply to take the national examination given by the American Society for Clinical Pathology.
What Type of Program Are You Looking For?
Phlebotomist, Diploma (513.3)
This 12-credit diploma program is ideal for students who are interested in joining the healthcare field in an entry-level position.
Graduates will learn the proper techniques and procedures of blood collection, and will learn how to perform these duties in clinical settings.
Take the Next Step
Every Nursing & Allied Health program at CCAC has specific admissions requirements and career accreditation.
Applicants must complete the following steps to be considered for entry into the Phlebotomy program:
- Apply to CCAC/South or Braddock Hills Campus
- Submit your high school transcript to the Admissions Office -OR- Applicants who have college-level credits from other institutions must submit OFFICIAL transcripts to [email protected]
- Applicants MUST include an UNOFFICIAL transcript with your Allied Health application packet
- Schedule an appointment and take required Placement Tests (e.g., Reading, Writing) if you have not completed any college coursework
- Meet with an Advisor
- Complete developmental courses required from results of your Placement Tests.
- Applicants must be eligible for ENG 101L Eng Comp 1/Tut Writ (formerly ENG 100 Basic Principles of Composition) and DVS 101 College Reading 2 or DVS 103 Advanced College Reading & Study Skills based on college placement testing.
- Students are accepted throughout the year based on meeting eligibility requirements
and the date of the application
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- FBI Fingerprint based clearance